Code Enforcement Officer

Glenn A. Gabbard

Code Enforcement Officer, Building Inspector, Zoning Officer, Flood Administrator

Kaitlen Madison

Building Safety Inspector

PO Box 964
Livingston Manor, NY 12758
Phone: 845-439-5450 ext 106
Fax: 845-439-3775

When Do you Need a Building Permit?

A Building Permit is required to:

  • Build a One or Two Family dwelling  (General Building Permit Application)
  • Erect, add onto, relocate or make structural changes to a building. This includes: an attached or detached accessory building such as a garage, carport, breezeway, storage shed, porch, or permanently enclosing an existing porch.
  • Install, relocate or remove interior partitions or walls.
  • Enlarge, decrease or otherwise modify existing doors or windows.
  • Install fire escapes, cellar stairs fire-rated enclosures or fire-retarded cellar ceilings in multiple dwellings.
  • Repair fire damage.
  • Demolish any structure.
  • Erect an attached or unattached, open or covered deck.
  • Install or replace a masonry chimney or metal flue stack.
  • Install a swimming pool, in-ground or above ground.
  • Install a fuel tank, gasoline tank, or other flammable liquid or gaseous tank either above or below grade.
  • Install or replace a solid fuel-burning device (i.e. wood stoves, etc.).
  • Roofing (Dwellings & accessory structures)
A Building Permit is NOT required to:

  • Make ordinary repairs which replace existing materials with new materials of like class and kind. For example, making a minor roof repair or minor repair to a chimney or foundation wall does not require a permit.
  • Install or replace gutters or downspouts
  • Install nonconductive, nonmetal siding.
  • Install or replace a sidewalk on private property.
  • Pave or replace an existing driveway.

“No permit shall be issued without the required proof of insurances or the Workers’ Compensation Exemption Form CE-200.”

Download these Applications here:

Building Application
Download: Building Permit Application

Accessory Use Permit Application

Bldg dept Fees

Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Detector Requirement

Certificate of Occupancy Application/Affidavit of Final Cost of Construction
Download: PDF MSWord

Site Plan Approval Application
Download: PDF MSWord

Special Use Permit Application
Download: PDF MSWord

Truss Form
Download: PDF



Contractors are required to have current worker’s compensation and general liability insurance certificates on file in our office.  Note:  ACORD forms are not acceptable proof of Workers’ Comp & Disability.  

ATTENTION HOMEOWNERS:Property owners who are doing the work themselves must complete and print the “CE-200” online (only) form known as a “Certificate of Attestation of Exemption” (from Workers’ Compensation.)

  • Access the form at CE200 online.
  • Then scroll down to the selection box that says  Apply Online as Homeowner
  • Then choose either  I Have a NY.GOV ID  or  I Need a NY.GOV ID  
  • After you complete the process, PRINT the actual CERTIFICATE (not your notice that the form was completed.)  
  • Sign the Certificate and submit it with your building permit application.

Zoning Ordinance:  

Town of Rockland E-Codes

Changes to properties and structures often require a Building Permit under the Codes of the Town of Rockland, and the State of New York. The following guidelines will help you determine if a permit may be required.Short Term Rental Applications Available at Town Hall

Local Law For Short Term Rentals Was Passed On July 6th, 2023, you are now required to go through an application process

Short Term Rental Local Law

Application to operate STR


Local Law 1 2021 Food Trucks 

Mobile Food Vending Application

Noise permit application 2022

T. Rockland Zoning – December 2016 WEB VERSION

  T Rockland Zoning – December 2016

Zoning Maps:

Zoning Maps

SubDivision Regs