Glenn A. Gabbard
Code Enforcement Officer, Building Inspector, Zoning Officer, Flood Administrator
Building Safety Inspector
PO Box 964
Livingston Manor, NY 12758
Phone: 845-439-5450 ext 106
When Do you Need a Building Permit?
A Building Permit is required to:
- Build a One or Two Family dwelling (General Building Permit Application)
- Erect, add onto, relocate or make structural changes to a building. This includes: an attached or detached accessory building such as a garage, carport, breezeway, storage shed, porch, or permanently enclosing an existing porch.
- Install, relocate or remove interior partitions or walls.
- Enlarge, decrease or otherwise modify existing doors or windows.
- Install fire escapes, cellar stairs fire-rated enclosures or fire-retarded cellar ceilings in multiple dwellings.
- Repair fire damage.
- Demolish any structure.
- Erect an attached or unattached, open or covered deck.
- Install or replace a masonry chimney or metal flue stack.
- Install a swimming pool, in-ground or above ground.
- Install a fuel tank, gasoline tank, or other flammable liquid or gaseous tank either above or below grade.
- Install or replace a solid fuel-burning device (i.e. wood stoves, etc.).
- Roofing (Dwellings & accessory structures)
- Make ordinary repairs which replace existing materials with new materials of like class and kind. For example, making a minor roof repair or minor repair to a chimney or foundation wall does not require a permit.
- Install or replace gutters or downspouts
- Install nonconductive, nonmetal siding.
- Install or replace a sidewalk on private property.
- Pave or replace an existing driveway.
“No permit shall be issued without the required proof of insurances or the Workers’ Compensation Exemption Form CE-200.”
Download these Applications here:
Download: Building Permit Application
Contractors are required to have current worker’s compensation and general liability insurance certificates on file in our office. Note: ACORD forms are not acceptable proof of Workers’ Comp & Disability.
- Access the form at CE200 online.
- Then scroll down to the selection box that says Apply Online as Homeowner
- Then choose either I Have a NY.GOV ID or I Need a NY.GOV ID
- After you complete the process, PRINT the actual CERTIFICATE (not your notice that the form was completed.)
- Sign the Certificate and submit it with your building permit application.
Changes to properties and structures often require a Building Permit under the Codes of the Town of Rockland, and the State of New York. The following guidelines will help you determine if a permit may be required.Short Term Rental Applications Available at Town Hall
Local Law For Short Term Rentals Was Passed On July 6th, 2023, you are now required to go through an application process
Application to operate STR